Sunday, August 25, 2013

Tim Holtz Challenge August – wipeout, redraw and computer woes!

seasons full I held out for the longest time this month hoping that all the new dies and stamps would reach South Africa long before deadline week for August challenge.  In my head I already had an idea of what I was going to do for my tag with all the chemistry stamps.  But things didn’t work out the way I wanted it to so I decided to come up with a new plan. 

 I have been having computer issues.  The deal is that my laptop is old, old,old – it still runs XP and is completely overworked.  This puppy runs everything in my household – I work on it, I watch TV on it, I use it as a hi-fi (do people still say hi-fi – what do they say now …..Entertainment Centre???), I design on it, I even control certain systems in my house on it.  So it was inevitable that a day would come when it would start a global rebellion. 

It started gremlin-ing all the video file, then it moved onto the picture files, then it picked up speed and staged one of those sit-in type of protests where whichever programme you ran – it would work for about a few minutes and then BAM it would give you the pc equivalent of a bad swear word – total freeze.  Now even the on and off button is going nuts – and it wont shut off by “shut down” command.  Right now I am trying to speak very loving words of encouragement to it – the only thing that works on it is the internet browser.  So I am grateful that it still feels some kind of sorry for me and lets me keeps that.

Anyhow, back to the TH tag story.  So last week I learned that the new stamps and stuff wouldn’t be available for another week or so, and I began to formulate a new idea in my head for a tag, just in case there were other hold-ups and I wouldn’t make it in time, I figured I would try and make something else.  When I looked through my stamp collection - I thought I hit on a great plan.  In fact I thought this new vision was far better than the old one and I got really excited about making it. 
The poem “A Dry White Season For Don M – Banned” – has always had a moving and profound effect on me.  Within the last couple of weeks I found my mind returning to its aphorismic truth, like a chant.  There was no real trying circumstance that I can hold accountable for the return.  It was as if the poem itself was manifesting its way into my consciousness and reaching out to me to remind me of its message, just because of its message. 

It’s a poem written by a South African poet Mongane Wally Serote while he was in exile, to another banned South African poet and writer Don Materra, whom at the time was under house arrest.  It describes a dry white season that is painful and harsh, where leaves fall bitterly to the ground, but reminds the reader that even the harshest winter will eventually come to pass.  Even though the context of the poem is political, I have always interpreted it in a broader context of hope.  The message for me is universal – that life has its seasons, some of them may be harsh, brittle periods of pain and trying circumstance, but we can always take assurance that as natural as the seasons do change, grim, winter seasons of circumstance shall too come to pass:  seasons 018
A Dry White Season
For Don M Banned


It is a dry white season
dark leaves don’t last, their brief lives dry out
and with a broken heart they
dive down gently headed for the earth
not even bleeding.
it is a dry white season brother, only the trees know the pain as they still stand erect
dry like steel, their branches dry like wire,
indeed, it is a dry white season but seasons come to pass

Mongane Wally Serote


So naturally with those powerful images playing in my head I had reached for the Stamper’s Anonymous Falling Leaves (CMS097) collection of TH stamps.  I knew that my heart was asking me to highlight the idea:  “Seasons come to pass”.  My mind’s eye saw the artistic connection between falling leaves and turning gears – seasons come to pass.

Oh it was beautiful – I cut masks, I stamped, I layered mask upon mask, I stained, I spattered. I glossy accented, I “geared” up for the art that was unfolding directly from my heart.  Seriously I was having a really great time with my tag – I have had romances that I haven’t had as much fun with and paid so much attention to!  I had not managed to fix my pc issues and couldn’t upload my project to the TH blog.  I wasn’t too fussed though because I thought I would just upload the pics onto my work pc in the office and go from there.

The next morning I got my coffee and began my daily ritual of reading through the blogposts of the bloggers I follow – and then I saw Alison’s post and her entry ( See Alison's amazing project by clicking on this )for the Tim Holtz challenge.  It was so beautiful, I loved it but more importantly – we had both chosen the same stamps (apart from Skelly), DOH!!!!! DOH!!!! DOH!!!! Even the texted background and colour scheme was eerily similar. WIPEOUT!!!!!

  So then I thought that I wouldn’t post my tag because it was so similar in concept to hers, and this little virtual community is dedicated to sharing diversity of interpretation, I felt like I should do something different to hold that tradition.  Alas – I got so busy with stuff that I had to do for work etc – I didnt get around to doing another project. Today I finally gave up the dream of trying to make another tag.  The truth is – I just cant imagine what else I would want to do for this challenge.  I really have to have something move in my heart in order for it to be translated into mini pieces of art, and my heart I think was just so filled with this particular message that there was no room for much else.  I don’t know – perhaps the Universe is trying to reach someone and give them the message that seasons come to pass and it needs me to post this tag. 

So I am going to have to post the original tag that I came up with as I neither have the inspiration or time to come up with a new concept and make it before the Tim Holtz deadline.  Also, I really loved the tag when I made it and I wanted to share it, especially because of its meaning to me. 
But yes,  I am aware that it does look very similar to Alison’s – that was completely unintentional but I am also secretly pleased cos I hold her artistic talent in such high regard so the fact that we both independently of each other halfway across the world, thought up the same concept was totally cool for me.  I feel like I have broken into the Holy room of Inspiration or something.  Alison is so amazing at whatever she does – I’m in total awe of her.

My personal stamp on the Tim Holtz technique was to colour the masked bits (all the big leaves),  I used distress markers otherwise I kept to all the original technique instructions.
seasons 020seasons 021seasons 023
I also used the smaller stamps to create a sorta watercolour transparent leaf background under the text background.

If you’re wondering how I managed to get the smaller leaves all seperated like on there – I’ll tell you a horrible secret – I cut the long strip (rubber stamp) of small leaves  into pieces – but I confess that I like having the smaller individual ones and if I want them in a strip again – all I have to do is just line them up like that!

The supplies I used for this tag were:
#10 sized tag (though I just cut a #10 sized tag out of Ranger Specialty stamping paper)
Stampers Anonymous Falling Leaves CMS097 Tim Holtz Collection
Stampers Anonymous Curiosity small text stamp CMS124 Warehouse District
Stampers Anonymous “Horlogerie” typography stamp  CMS123 Attic Treasures
Ranger Archival ink:  Plum, Olive, Monarch Orange, Cobalt, Sienna, Vermillion
Ranger Distress Markers
Ranger Distress Stain Gathered Twigs
Stazon Timber Brown
Sizzix Tim Holtz Alterations:  
656917 Sizzix Sizzlits Decorative Strip Alphabet Die - Chip Block
657482 Sizzix Sizzlits Decorative Strip Alphabet Die – Alphabetical
Ranger Glossy Accents
Ranger Ideo-ology mini gears and regular gears
Thin Popsicle stick

Anyway – I hope that if there is indeed a hurting soul somewhere who is feeling overrun and overwhelmed – I hope that this tag brings you the comfort and hope that seasons do indeed come to pass, take heart – I have felt this for myself as well.

14 comments:

  1. Lots of detail and lovely colour Candice, a great tag and maybe you can use the new stamps next month? Sorry you are having PC issues, they are great when working properly but such a nightmare when things start going wrong. Good luck getting it sorted.
    hugs {brenda}x0x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors you've used! And your tag is very diff from Alison's ...only one stamp is the same. I like yours and am drawn into the poem and it's stor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this tag Candice and I am so pleased you decided to post it as it would have been a crying shame not to have done. Actually, like Nan G, I think it is different from Alison's. You play with colour in a completely different way and I love the contrast between the leaves and that white background. It's a joy to behold.
    Hope your PC issues get resolved (sounds like it might be time for an upgrade unfortunately?) I don't think many of us can survive without them these days. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had some difficulty getting my full comment to appear. The story and poem are/were very captivating. Thanks for stopping by. Glad like the twinchie tiles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Candice...this is such a beautiful tag with such meaning behind it. I'm glad that you included all of that in your post. Not only was it interesting to read your creative thought process but I loved the poem. I'd never heard it before. :) And...when you use the same large stamp as another person, sometimes they tend to look similar...since it is the largest focal point on the project. But, I have to agree with everyone else. You have your own distinct style and I think your tag is very different. I love it. I also wanted to thank you for the very kind comments you left on my blog. You are so sweet and I love reading your blog posts. They are a nice "peek" into your soul. :) I hope your computer issues are getting cleared up. There is nothing worse than computer problems...especially when you rely on it as much as you do. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!!! how gorgeous! Your leaves are fabulous! You've taken the masking to a whole new level. Awesome take!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry lost what I was typing. The glass bead texture gel is produced for artists, purchased in local art shop. The brand I have is Winsor and Newton Galeria glass beads texture gel. Used with a mask or stencil as you would any texture paste using a palette knife. dries clear so any work underneath shows through. Hope this helps. Thanks for your kind comments on my blog, much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you shared this tag, Candice... Even though we shared the idea for the leaves, I think yours takes off in such an inspired direction - both with the impulse from that extraordinary poem, and also in your amazing colour choices and "reverse" colouring against the text background. It's a brilliant tag in every way, and while I thank you for your incredibly generous shout-out, I don't think you need have any doubts about your amazing tag, your amazing art, holding its own in any company!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic tag! Just so much good stuff going on love the way you've treated those leaves just gorgeous . The poem is very moving and gives a lot of food for thought, thanks for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your tag is beautiful. I love all the deep colours you used.
    I am impressed that you check out everyone's tags. I am lucky I get my tags completed before month end, never mind check out everyones tags.
    I wish I could though.
    Which you just reminded me, I haven't done August's tag yet...guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Luck on your computer woes-who knew we would need them so much! Your tag is awesome! You had stopped by and asked about CASEing. It is being inspired by someone's work and creating something base on the original's ideas. I have seen someone say create and share everything -but I don't know where I saw that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Great tag. Love all your colours. That poem is lovely, I've not heard of it before and what a bummer with your pooter. Hope you get it all sorted soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK. You've got me curious now...what's a pooter in your circle? Come on - fess up! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had just realized I have been sending you replies to your comments on my blog.
    Then tonight I see it says "non reply" I think that means you don't get my replies, lol.
    Tell me if you have been getting them.

    ReplyDelete

It makes me happy when you stop by the Tincan deli - I love interacting with other bloggers, crafters and anyone else who is up for a chat. If you leave a comment I am going to come over to your blog and visit there for a while!!!>