Sunday, September 7, 2014

Tim Holtz 12 Tags of 2014 - September



DSC_0171Well it was a creative weekend – not only did I get the August tag done but I also managed to do the September tag all in one go. 

Tim Holtz challenged us to bust out those alcohol inks and do some ghost stencilling, die-cutting and stamping (cos it it is STAMPTEMBER). 

Y’all know how I like clutter and mess though on my tags – so to try and keep my tag simple and unclutterd was a little bit of task for me.  Eventually I compromised – and allowed myself to ghost stencil a coloured background.  But I did colour everything – because life is colourful.

What I was hoping to convey in this tag was the idea that in life you can have all the things you want, all the the dreams you want to live, all the time you want, love you want, peace you want if you bring your own fulfilment into being.

From the Tim Tag – instead of the “Frenzy of Butterflies” I used the “Tattered Florals” Strip Die. I wanted it to look like a hand releasing a shower of flowers, the idea ofcourse being that you bring your own flowers to your life.


When I did the tag background, I was sad to have to embellish it because I thought it was great by itself. I created the background by multi-layering the ghosting technique – as per usual – I couldnt just stick to one colour.

I loved making the background for the flowers.  Tim is right – glossy cardstock and alcohol based inks are the bomb!! I sloshed alcohol based ink in many, many different colours all over a strip of the glossy stuff. I smooshed it all together and then when that dried I layered more ink over that and let it run all over. Check out this awesomely cool effect it had going over here.

I used the tattered florals strip die to cut out some florals – arranged them so that they look like a hand releasing a cascading shower of blooms and then I glossy accented the hek out of those. To add a bit of dimension – I glued on flat-back pearls on the flowers. 









15 comments:

  1. This is awesome, Candice! The glossy alcohol ink flowers are so stunning - what a gobsmackingly awesome take on Tim's tag - better than the original!!!!
    Hugs,
    Claudia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me again - thanks for your lovely response to my comment, Candice! Can't wait for your great day either, when your fantastic post will go online on the OCC! (Already had a sneak peek and it is just soo gobsmackingly brilliant!!!). It's perfect! I am so happy that you agreed on being our GD for this month! Mwah! XXXX

    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I had to come check out your handful of blooms, awesome! I really like the cogs one from May too. I'll be checking back here more often :-)

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love your tag, it´s wonderful! The hand with the beautiful flowers is a great idea. It,s great fun making Tim´s tag every month. I liked your August tag too.
    Hug :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous! And so clever! I love the hand and the flowers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous effects Candice, those flowers are amazing, I love the finished design.
    Hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW Candice!!! This is such a great way of putting your own spin on Tim's original and those flowers are awesome! For me this is already a winner. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this art tag is fantastic! I think your interpretation of the tag is great! I love that you added more layers to the background. Your technique with the alcohol inks and paper have inspired me to actually buy the paper and play. Thank you for sharing your amazing art tag and the techniques you used.
    Jacquelene L
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jacquelene - that was so lovely to read. Thank you so much for all the lovely things you had to say. I know what you mean about seeing something then feeling like I absolutely have to have that product. We all enable each other's ink and paper habit~! I hope that you will share your art with us too soon - tried to find a website for you but I failed, it appears that I am better at paper than at the internet! -

      Delete
  9. What a fabulous take on the Tim tag - taking it and working your own special magic. Those flowers are absolutely stunning - and look fab against the muted background... love it!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I am so glad that I came by after your lovely comment on my post. I am now following you. It's funny how you try a technique....LOVE it and then move on. I'm talking about the alcohol inks right now. Your glorious make has given me a deliciously colourful reminder. What an inspiring start to my morning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops Candice ---I'm already following you so your crafty offering have attracted my magpie eyes already!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have the best Tim's tags..I think he may need to take some lessons from you ;)
    I am very behind in my tags, I missed a few months. Was thinking of just quitting, but who knows, I may play catch up yet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your take on Tim's September tag!

    ReplyDelete
  14. On Tim's blog, I was drawn to your hand dropping the flowers as the colours were so vibrant and I loved the concept. Great interpretation of the tag.

    ReplyDelete

It makes me happy when you stop by the Tincan deli - I love interacting with other bloggers, crafters and anyone else who is up for a chat. If you leave a comment I am going to come over to your blog and visit there for a while!!!>