Thursday, June 20, 2013

What else you can do with Distress Paint? - “I’ve got the moves like Jagger”!

TH0621023 075 This is the card I created for Father’s Day for my dad this year.  I have blogged on other posts here about how much I love this Distress paint.  While making this card I discovered another cool effect you can get with it. 
I cut out the hanging sign post from the Tim Holtz ALTERATIONS DIE – Hanging Sign.  Look at that weathered paint look on the post – isn’t that just yummilicious?  I discovered that by accident.  I had originally inked the post in Black soot Distress Ink and then covered it in UTEE.  I heated it til it got all melty but still bumpy.  This was the look I was going for, but when I placed it on that lovely dark chocolatey sparkly Cardstock – it was getting lost – I needed more contrast. 
TH0621023 082
The only thing that I could think of that would pop on top of black was the Distress Paint because they are so wonderfully opaque.  So I busted out the Salty Ocean Distress Paint and painted on top that.  Then I sprinkled UTEE on top of that and heated it.  This time I heated it until it was almost boiling.  When it cooled down I was left with that awesome weathered paint effect.  Isn’t that so stinkin’ cool?
I like the way the paint pulled away from the edges as well - I think it lends to authenticity – can you imagine it hanging above the entrance to an old pub?

TH0621023 080Now see the little embossed bootprints on the background mat?  I swiped some Distress Paint in Salty Ocean and then a teeny bit of Picket Fence on my “lino-sheet palette”, and then misted it with water. I then took a make-up sponge and dabbed in it a bit.  I let the sponge sit for while so that it dried out a bit.  Once I was satisfied with the dryness-factor – I gently buffed over the bootprints and rocks. I swear it works like chalk ink.  Distress Paint – dannnnnnnng! (The bootprint folder is from the Spellbinders Embossabilites line).  I used the same make-up sponge dabbled in watered down Distress Paint to ink up the sign. 

TH0621023 077

















 The rulers behind the sign were inspired by this fabulous design by Shelly Hickox featured in  the Sizzix blog - you can find it here in this post - Shelly Hickox Ruler box frame 


     The Pediment(behind the sign)comes from the Alterations Pediments Set and was cut out of Grunge Paper.  I sorta mottled on Vintage Photo DP and over that I dabbed on a generous amount of brushed pewter DP.
You know from my last post that I recently salvaged a bunch of bottlecaps from a local pub and have been playing all sorts of mean tricks on them.

TH0621023 085
For this act of trickery - I cut out circles from an old book page and then stamped in Ranger’s Watermark Resist ink, I then put Embossing Powder all over that and embossed. I then went over with Gathered Twigs Distress Ink.  Those went in the bottlecaps and I used Kraftex Pratligo Resin to fill it.  I like this whole resin thing,it is way too satisfying for it to be legal.


I could’nt wait to try the weathered paint effect with the orange and yellow hues in the Distress Paint line.  I had a suspicion that it would give me the best faux-rusty effect yet, and I am so all about rust, metal and tin right now.  I suspect I really would rename myself Tincan if I didn't have to wait in the long, long queues at Home Affairs to pick up a form to do so. Anyway – I got to messing around some more with it and I have discovered that Distress Paint is about as perfect a paint can get to create certain gnarly, sweet@ss metal effects.
 
I am going to be posting tutorials on how I created each effect, not in this post though because it would take me all night to do so – BUT STAY TUNED because it is so easy and totally rad looking.  So as a teaser for my upcoming blog posts, lemme get down on it and show you what you can do with Distress Paint other than all the cool blendy stuff.

TH0621023 123

 
 

I am not even done talking – if you stay tuned for these tutorials – I am going to share with you a new, brilliant crafty tool I inadvertently “invented” that is super easy to make and unbelievably versatile to use for almost anything that requires fine detailing.  I’m loving it like an Oreo McFlurry!

That’s all for now – I hope it whets your appetite.








6 comments:

  1. Amazing effects and patinas... really looking forward to some more details on your techniques - fantastic! The weathered hanging sign looks amazing, and those samples at the end... wow! Love the stony one!!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I love your Father's Day card. It's amazing! The tutorials you will be posting look incredible! I'll for sure have to tune in for those! Love how you've incorporated so many different elements on that card but it doesn't look cluttered! That hanging sign with the pediment and chains is awesomeness! You, my friend, are crazy talented. :) Thanks so much for the kind words you left on my blog. That made me feel so good! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful effects you have made with the paint! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say I love your Sweet@ss metal effects :)
    This is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you made the sign with the distress paint. That is so cool! And then how you did the rusty color and gold-I can't wait to see the tutorials! Thanks for stopping by blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful find you blog has been, with post after post of the most amazing and inspiring things. I have become a follower of your blog through both Google and Bloglovin' so I can come back and visit often. Thank you for the fabulous inspiration.
    :) Chris / CS Designs ... Doodle Pieces

    ReplyDelete

It makes me happy when you stop by the Tincan deli - I love interacting with other bloggers, crafters and anyone else who is up for a chat. If you leave a comment I am going to come over to your blog and visit there for a while!!!>